Hiwot Ethiopia has been implementing enhancing quality education through the power of sport and play in Addis Ababa and Oromia region of Northshewa zone Wuchale Woreda by the financial and technical support of Right to Play.
The project is implementing in 51 primary schools of Addis Ababa and Wuchale woreda ( 31 in Addis Ababa and 20 in Oromia region. Among others 18 schools (10 from Addis Ababa and 8 from Oromia) received direct support from the project.
The overall objective of the project is to enhancing quality education, through the power of sport and play. The focused specific objectives are:
- Enhance interactive/positive learning environment in schools
- Enhance life skills development of children and youth
- Promote inclusion and empowerment of people with disabilities and girls
- Promote gender equality, child protection and building a peaceful community
The project is deployed different implementation strategies to address target community groups:
- Providing capacity building trainings to students, teachers, PTAs, coaches and parents
- Strengthening school club capacity through providing mini-media, and sport equipments
- Organizing community mobilization sessions to discuss on the barriers of education and other related issues
- Organize advocacy campaigns to advocate on issues of safe and protective school environment, children’s right including health